Sunday, October 17, 2010

Blog Post Assignment 8

This was a very good informational video put together by Richard Miller. He made many good arguments about how we can change from a reading/writing culture to a listening/watching culture. Overall, I think I am prepared to write with multimedia and I think my students would also be prepared. I believe that children growing up in today’s culture are very technology literate and would welcome using these methods to learn.

On the other hand, I do not think we should completely do away with books are taking the focus off of learning how to hand write things. I think the book is a beautiful thing. Now we have electronic magazines, kindles, eBooks, and other devices that seem to be taking the place of the book. Personally, there is something about actually having a book in my hand and flipping the pages.

All in all, I like the ideal of writing with multimedia but I do not think it we should totally do away with books and the pen. Books have been around since the creation of human kind and it has gotten the human race to amazing places. The Bible is one of those books that I think should always be available in book format. There are electronic bibles but there is just something about just holding a bible in your hand that gives a different effect than reading it on a computer screen.

ED310 is different were very creative videos. I am not sure of what kind of videos I would like to create but I think maybe “Getting through College While Raising a Family” could be a good one. I think we all need to know to how to balance raising a family, work, and school. It can be very difficult and rewarding at the same time.

Very good comparisons in the Smartboard videos. I had a chance to see Smartboards in action at a middle school this past summer doing my observation. I was amazed at how well the 7th and 8th grade students knew how to use it. It was very useful for the teacher and students and made the lecture go very smooth. I plan to use a Smartboard in my classroom when i begin teaching.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tarvaries! I agree with you. Children in today’s society welcome anything that involves technology. I think since it is new to them, they are curious to find out more. Curiosity leads to better learners. Of course we need allow them to use pencils and paper. You never know when computers will crash and everyone needs a back-up plan. If you ever make the video, “Getting through College While Raising a Family” let me know. It is very challenging to be a mom, student, wife, and everything else we are responsible for doing. Your blog was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it is just about doing away with books. Dr. Miller is talking about a whole new way of reading, writing, and educating in general. He is envisioning what I believe we are headed for, an entire new concept of literacy. And as Dr. Miller indicated the pedagogy to teach and learn in this way has not even been invented yet. But, we are working on it. All of us in education are currently engaged in this educational/technological revolution whether we like it or not. Will you embrace it? I hope so. I know I do. It is an exciting time to be involved in education. SS

    ReplyDelete