Saturday, October 30, 2010

Blog Post Assignment 10

After reading Morgan Bayda post “An Open Letter to Educators”, I agree with her that North America is using a model of schooling that was created hundreds of years ago by the dominant culture thus cheating us out of our education. Because of this, I think the quality of education in America is far behind what it’s capable of being.

Much like Morgan, sometimes I feel like I am being cheated out of my education. Most curriculums in the public school systems are not student-centered. Public schools seemed to be focused only on standardized testing rather than allowing students to be creative and free to explore their education. Moreover, the curriculum is very limited and is centered on the dominant culture and its point of view. For example, almost in every public school in America, the only time the curriculum is devoted to learning about African American history is in February because it is so-called “Black History Month”. I believe African American history should be learned along with every other aspect of history during the entire school year. A well rounded education would declare history as history, it’s impossible to cram the entire history of African Americans in to one month when African Americans have contributed and help set the foundations of this country.

Next, the way the teachers are conducting and teaching their classes are affecting the education experience as well. I agree with Morgan that it’s frustrating to be in a class where you can only discuss the topics openly with your teacher rather than your classmates. In a class where blogs, open discussions, PLN, and other kinds of effective communication tools are used, it’s more rewarding for the student. I hope that most new generation of teachers will be willing to integrate technology into their lessons to help improve the education experience for the student. As a result, this would give the students the opportunity to be creative and to explore their ideas among their peers using many different forms of communicating. For example, a student may feel uncomfortable commenting on topics in class but if the teacher used blogs, that student may feel more comfortable responding online because it’s less intimidating.

All in all, I think there will always be improvements needed for education in America. I think it’s up to the individual to feed off what they are being taught and educate themselves to get a well rounded education. It’s important to know how to critically think for yourself because knowledge is power and one could never have enough of it.


I really was inspired by the video “Two Questions That Can Change Your Life.” I’ve always been a person to try to reflect on what I did yesterday and how I can improve on that. So I think asking the question “Was I better today than I was yesterday?” is something that I will continue to do to achieve my goals in life. My sentence would be “He motivated his students to achieve their highest potential and devoted his entire life inspiring others.”

1 comment:

  1. It's not a racial issue in my opinion but a class issue. The impact may be even broader if i am correct.

    ReplyDelete