Thursday, August 26, 2010

Blog Assignment 1

I am a junior majoring in Secondary Education English/Language Arts. I chose this major because I believe an effective teacher has the ability to touch many lives in profound ways, so my goal is to become an effective teacher.  I’ve always had a passion for helping people so combined with my desire to make an impact in the world, choosing my major was fairly easy for me. Most importantly, the lack of African American male teachers in the education system is extremely low. As a result, African American males are dropping out at an alarming rate, of course there are other contributing factors to these statistics but the most important factor in my opinion is the lack of African American male role models in the classroom.  In other words, there is a great need for African American male teachers so I believe it’s my life’s calling to fulfill one of these needs.  After I graduate with my Bachelors degree, I plan to further my education by obtaining my Masters and my Doctrine.

I currently work full time for World Omni Financial Corp; World Omni is another name for Southeast Toyota Finance.  In other words, if you live in the Southeast and you have financed or leased a Toyota, Scion, or Lexus, there is a pretty good chance you financed your car through us.  Twenty percent of all Toyotas purchased in the country are purchased through Southeast Toyota Finance. I’ve worked in accounting for 9 years now and I work for a very good company. World Omni has consistently been listed in Fortune magazine as one of the top 100 companies to work for in the country, recently we were listed as 23rd best company to work for in America. I decided to make a career change a couple of years ago so here I am at University of South Alabama.  Making the change from working in an office environment behind a desk to a classroom will be a major shift for me in all areas of concern but I am willing to make the sacrifice to pursue my lifelong dream of becoming a teacher.  The only thing that keeps me going is my desire to help kids because there are more reasons why I should stay in my current career than go into a career with low pay, budget cuts, bad schools, a broken public education system, and violent inner city schools. Nevertheless, I believe the satisfaction that I’ll get from teaching is far greater than working in accounting for the rest of my life. 

I am 29 years and I have a one year old son who name is Bryce. Bryce is truly the love of my life and I am so blessed to have such a wonderful son!  I have a strong faith in God and that faith is what helps me manage my extremely busy life.  My hobbies includes going to concerts, traveling, sporting events, and listening to music.  My favorite bands are Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead, Bjork, Alicia Keys, Maxwell, Kem, Stabbing Westward, and Korn.  My favorite teams are Kansas City Chiefs, Alabama Crimson Tide, and New York Knicks. I rout for the Saints as well, I also rout for players such as Brett Favre but I am a dedicated Chiefs fan. My favorite color is red, I love seafood, and the best place I’ve been thus far was New York City. I hope to one day to travel to Egypt, Hong Kong, South Africa, and Brazil. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm Cassandra. I am in my third year here at USA, but I lack seven hours from being a junior. I admire your reasons for wanting to be a teacher. I wish more students would have the same aspirations as you. I know quite a few people going into the teaching profession who are only in it because the work is "easier". It sounds like you work for a pretty good company, and I bet you stay busy since you work full time, go to school, and have a son. My mom was in school and worked full time when I was in middle school, and I know it was pretty hard for her to do. I love listening to music as well. I honestly feel that that music makes the world interesting. Your favorite color just happens to be the color of my hair. I would love to travel to some of those places as well. What was New York City like? Good luck with everything you are trying to accomplish! I hope everything works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please combine all parts of Blog Assignment #2 into one post. It saves us about 4 hours a week when you do that! Thanks!

    Good luck as you change careers. I have been to Egypt and South Africa. I hope you get to achieve your travel goals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mr. Reese. It's such a small world. I am a sales consultant at Springhill Toyota. I am currently in school in order to renew my teaching certificate. In the meantime, I still need to sell cars to make a living. Please send me some referrals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will most certainly send you some referrals. I know a couple of people who will be in the market for a new toyota soon, so i will send them your way. Well good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete